- Set up a Code Club in your school: you can choose to run the club yourself or work with a volunteer
- Time and length of the club is up to you
- Arrange computers for the children to use
- Download software for the children, most clubs start with Scratch
- The club must be free of charge for the children to access
To host a Code Club in your school you need to
- If you are working with a volunteer, make sure a member of staff is available to help run the Code Club, volunteers should never be left in loco parentis. The member of staff does not need to know anything about coding but it’s a great chance for them to learn
- Check and make sure youâ€™re happy with your volunteerâ€™s criminal recordÂ statement
- Ensure that all the children who come to the club have appropriate permission from a parent/guardian to attend
- Check that your school has appropriate insurance to cover the volunteer and the club
- Ensure that your school has appropriate equipment, access to software and a way of printing resources for the children
Please note: Code Club does not interview volunteers – it is your job to meet them before the club starts and check you are happy for them to run a club at your school.
How Code Club support you
- We provide a platform to help you find a local, trained and DBS-checked volunteer
- Access free projects for the children, which are step by step guides for creating games, animations and websites
- Free online or face to face training sessions to get you started
If you are ready to host a Code Club at your school, the first step is to register on our site and weâ€™ll take you step by step through the things you need to do to get started.
- Create an account on our site
- Add your school details to your account
- Search for volunteers in your local area and contact them. Volunteers can contact you through the site too
- Next you should meet the volunteer, plan how you will run the club and check their criminal record
- Add the volunteer to your club on our website – this will make the club active, hooray!
- Once the club is active, you will be able to view your your Club ID and PIN, so you can access all our resources
- If youâ€™d prefer to run the club yourself, register using your school email address so we can verify you are a teacher. Head to the â€˜find a volunteerâ€™ section but instead of searching for a volunteer, click the handy button to tell us you will be running the club yourself. If you canâ€™t see it, donâ€™t worry – just drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.orgÂ and we will activate the club for you.